About Us

A Brief History of Sacred Heart School

A dream of Father CharlesK. Kennedy and the members of Sacred Heart Parish materialized on February 13,1949, when ground was broken for the new parochial school and convent. Theschool was completed during the summer of 1949 and opened for classes inSeptember of that year with an enrollment of 112 students. His Eminence, JamesFrancis Cardinal McIntyre, Archbishop of Los Angeles, dedicated the newbuildings on October 9, 1949.

Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary were the first community to staff theschool, and continued through June 1968. In September 1968 the Sisters of the HolyCross took charge of running the school. From the beginning there have alwaysbeen some lay teachers on the staff. Since September 1974 Sacred Heart Schoolhas had a lay principal. Since September 1979, the school has been staffedcompletely by lay personnel. Today 29 dedicated lay personnel staff the school.Sacred Heart School opened a kindergarten in 1979, employing a teacher and afull time aide.

In the Fall of 1985, a computer lab was set up with 8 Commodore computersdonated by the Knights of Columbus. The school now has 20 Dell computers, afull time computer teacher. In addition to a full academic curriculum theschool offers spanish, music, computer, yearbook, newspaper, and physicaleducation classes, after school sports, cheerleading, vocal, band and hand bellchoirs. The school also supports an Academic Decathlon Team and Mathlete Teamsat the Junior High level. 

The school participates in and has been successful at many local essay and artcontests such as the Daughters of the American Revolution, the Astronomy Club,NASA Math and Space Odyssey, Cherish the Child, Holy Cross Family Ministries,Air Quality Management District, the Catalyst Foundation, The Reader’s DigestNational Word Power Challenge, and the National Geographic Geography Bee.

Sacred Heart School is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schoolsand Colleges (WASC). The school is a member of the Western Catholic EducationAssociation (WCEA), National Catholic Education Association and the AntelopeValley Christian Athletic League.

The school year 2014-2015,Sacred Heart School welcomed a new set of students. Transitional Kindergarten  was started at Sacred Heart School.  Transitionalkindergarten bridges the path between preschool and kindergarten and givesstudents a head start that will yield huge payoffs in future academic success.It provides the gift of time that will help students build a strong foundationfor success in elementary school.  We moved the Computer lab in with theLibrary to create a Media Center.  This move made it possible for the newTransitional Kindergarten class to utilize our Kindergarten facilities andplayground. The former Computer Lab has been gutted and designed just for ournew TK students. 


Currently Sacred Heart School has one class for each grade TK, K-8. Eachclass has a total of 32-36 students. There are 25 faculty and staff membersthat provide instruction in the classroom, a computer lab, music program,library, and PE program, and support services in the school office.

To assist its teachers in providing exceptional learningenvironments, facilitate differentiated instruction, and prepare students tosuccessfully meet the challenges of excelling in the 21st century workplace,Sacred Heart School has standardizing its classroom technology via theMimioTeach™ interactive whiteboard, a device that converts any dry erase boardinto a fully interactive whiteboard. Using money awarded through the Knights ofColumbus Lancaster Council, #2455, the school has purchased MimioTeach systems. The teachers attend annual training on this technology to increase theirskill levels  We now have a 2 to 1Chromebook and tablet program.